Requirements for driver's education
Requirements for obtaining a temporary permit
How To Obtain a Temporary Permit Packet (from the Ohio BWV Website)
1. Applicant must provide proof of name, date of birth and social security number (if assigned one). See Acceptable Documents
2. You may apply for the type of Temporary Permit Packet needed at any local deputy registrar's office. See Driver License Fees.
3. For instructions regarding the testing procedures at the exam stations, refer to: First Time License Examination.
4. For Temporary Permit to be valid (for you to be legal to drive), both parts of the Written Test (Signs and Laws) must be successfully completed (at least 75% correct for both sections).
Requirements for obtaining a first driver's license
First Time Applicants must do the following: (from Ohio BMV Website)
1. Apply for a Temporary Permit Packet at the office of your local deputy registrar. The fee will be $21.00. If your current driver license has expired more than 6 months and within 2 years, the fee will be $24.00. See Driver License Fees. Take with you documentary proof of your age and social security number, (if one has ever been assigned). See Acceptable Documents.
2. If you are under 18 years of age you must be accompanied by a parent or guardian, or person having legal custody, or, if there is no parent or guardian a responsible person who is willing to assume the obligations imposed under Rule 4501:1-1-19 of the Ohio Administrative Code. The co-signer must also take documentary proof of his identification. See Acceptable Documents.
3. If you lose any portion of these forms, you will have to purchase additional forms and begin the whole process over again.
4. Take your temporary packet to the nearest Ohio Driver's License Examination Station to take the written and vision tests. No appointment for these portions of the examination is necessary. You might call to make sure when the exam station is open for business.
5. When you appear for the examination you must:
6. You cannot drive on this packet (even with a licensed driver) until you have passed the vision and written tests.
Requirements for reinstating a driver's license
Reinstating a Driver's License is different based on different circumstances. Most often, reinstating an Ohio License requires a Remedial Driving Course. Check Ohio's Bureau of Motor Vehicles website for details.